Charvel epitomised the Superstrat in the 80s, with their hot-rodded instruments seen in the hands of many prestigious hard rock and metal guitarists. In the 21st Century, Charvel continue to build their signature high-performance instruments, boasting a raft of high-spec features that ensure optimal playability and, of course, tone!
The Pro-Mod San Dimas Style 1 FR is loaded with a set of versatile Seymour Duncan humbuckers, a 1000 Series Floyd Rose tremolo system, and also features a graphite-reinforced neck with a compound radius fretboard for ultimate playing comfort. In terms of features and construction, this guitar punches far above what its price suggests.
Alder is a classic tonewood used in the construction of Strat-style guitars, a tradition that Charvel has largely continued to adhere to. With very balanced tonal qualities, Alder ensures a strong mid-range that lends itself particularly well to high-gain, producing a focused tone that can punch through effortlessly in busy mixes.
Paired with a Maple neck, this bright-sounding wood will help to deliver some top-end definition, and a bolt-on construction provides a snappy response with plenty of projection and clarity. Reinforced with Graphite, this neck will remain stable even in differing temperatures and conditions, meaning you won't have to tinker with your setup very often at all.
A compound radius fretboard is an excellent, high-end feature of this instrument. Rounded at the lower end of the neck to make chords easier to play, the fretboard flattens out in the higher register to make shredding a total breeze. This also helps to prevent notes from fretting out when performing string bends, making it a very ergonomic design. Another luxury feature of this guitar is its rolled fingerboard edges, providing even more comfort for your left hand so that you can move up and down the neck super-smoothly.
Electronics and Hardware
This elegant instrument is powered by a pair of high-output Seymour Duncan humbuckers, capable of handling copious amounts of gain whilst being versatile enough to clean up very well too. The JB in the bridge position delivers all of the upper mid-range bite you'd expect, for tight definition when playing riffs. The classic '59 neck pickup has a smooth yet articulate tone, ideal for lead work.
The three-way pickup selector switch is deceiving, offering a greater amount of pickup combinations than you'd think. Letting you isolate the bridge and neck humbuckers for typical operation, the middle position will select the inner coils of both pickups for the best of both worlds. Engage the push/pull coil split, and you'll attain your classic Strat tones. Position 1 will offer the bridge outer coil for that vintage spank, whilst position 3 gives you the neck outer coil for a warmer sound. Keep it in the middle, and you'll engage bother outer coils, offering pristine angelic tones with clean settings.
The Floyd Rose 1000 Series double-locking tremolo will keep your tuning super solid, and with a recessed design you can divebomb and flutter to your heart's content!
- Series: Pro-Mod
- Body Material: Alder
- Body Finish: Satin
- Neck: Bolt-On 2-Piece Maple Speed Neck with Graphite Reinforcement and Rolled Fingerboard Edges
- Neck Finish: Hand-Rubbed Urethane Gel
- Fingerboard: Maple, 12” - 16” Compound Radius (304.8 mm to 406.4 mm)
- Frets: 22, Jumbo
- Position Inlays: Black Dot
- Nut (Material/Width): Floyd Rose® FRT-O1000 (534) or FRT-O3000 (568) Locking, 1.6875” (42.86 mm)
- Tuning Machines: Charvel® Branded Sealed Die-Cast
- Scale Length: 25.5” (648 mm)
- Bridge: Floyd Rose® FRT-O1000 (534) or FRT-O3000 (568) DoubleLocking
- Pickguard: None
- Pickups: Seymour Duncan® JB TB-4 Humbucking (Bridge), Seymour Duncan® ‘59 SH-1N Humbucking (Neck)
- Pickup Switching: 3-Position Blade: Position 1: Bridge Pickup, Position 2: Both Inner Coils, Position 3: Neck Pickup, (Split Engaged) Position 1: Bridge Outer Coil, Position 2: Both Outer Coils, Position 3: Neck Outer Coil
- Controls: Volume (Push/Pull Coil Split), No-Load Tone
- Control Knobs: Knurled Flat-Top
- Hardware Finish: Chrome (534), Gold (568)
- Strings: NPS, .009-.042 Gauges