The ML1 Modern Baritone is a dual-humbucker guitar that combines classic design with crushing modern tones. A unique tonewood combo and a simple, comfortable playability make the ML1 Modern Baritone an outstanding addition to the Chapman Guitars catalogue. Better still, the V2 models are made in a new factory - baked tonewoods for improved resonance and durability, improved rolled fretboard edges and US-made pickup magnets. They're onto a winner...
New and Improved Pickups
All V2 Chapman instruments are equipped with brand new pickups made in-house in their new factory. Unlike their previous pickup designs, these feature new magnets sourced specially from the US. Many guitar pickups use generic magnets, the same that you might find in cars or household appliances - these are tailor-made for use in guitars. If you thought the previous humbuckers and single coils sounded great, you’ll love the fresh tone of these precisely-wound models.
Chapman have re-voiced the pickups to provide crisper articulation, a more pronounced midrange and smoother low and high-end frequencies. You’re guaranteed to get studio sound quality and brilliant definition in live use.
Body & Neck
Chapman have opted for a combination of classic tonewoods for the body: Alder with an Ash veneer top. Alder and Ash are known for being widely used on the vast majority of Fender guitars since the release of their very first solid-bodies back in the '50s. Offering a brilliant combination of scooped but crystal-clear mids and rich, resonating sustain, these woods provide real tonal character.
For the neck, they've opted for satin-finished Maple, with a set-neck configuration featuring a volute. This reinforcement, combined with a dual-action truss rod, means sturdy tuning stability - perfect for that extended range sound. The satin finish and familiar C-shape neck means you'll be right at home, whatever your style!
Hardware & Electronics
Chapman have loaded the ML1 Modern with two Sonorous Zero Baritone humbuckers; power, clarity, a dense midrange and a hefty low-end perfectly complements the unique tonewood cocktail, resulting in firm, chunky baritone sounds. Expect seismic bass frequencies and a crystal-clear midrange, clean or distorted.
A 3-way blade pickup switch and a push-pull coil-tap vastly expands your tonal palette. What first appears to be a simple HH configuration suddenly becomes a hugely versatile instrument that'll efficiently handle whatever you throw at it. Top it off with a Graph tech black tusq XL nut and alluring black hardware across the board, and you've struck the perfect balance between versatility and attitude.
- Headstock: Straight heritage headstock
- Neck: Maple with satin finish
- Neck type: C shape recessed bolt-on neck with velute
- Top: Ash veneer on flat top with gloss finish
- Body: Alder with gloss finish
- Body carves: Arm carve, front lower spoon cut, rear tummy cut, rear lower spoon cut, rear heel contour
- Fretboard: Ebony fretboard with rolled edges
- Binding: Reveal
- Frets: 24 jumbo nickel frets
- Fret markers: Pearl side dots and pearl front dot inlays
- 12th fret inlay: Pearl infinity
- Scale length: 711mm (~28")
- Tuners: Chapman locking (18:1 gearing)
- String nut: Graph tech black tusq XL nut
- Truss rod: Dual action
- Bridge: Chapman string-through hardtail
- Neck pickup: Chapman Sonorous Zero Baritone humbucker, Magnet: alnico 5 output: 12.5k ohms
- Bridge pickup: Chapman Sonorous Zero Baritone humbucker, Magnet: alnico 5 output: 16.5k ohms
- Pickup switch: 3 way blade switch with coil split on push-pull tone knob
- Controls: Master volume (500k), master tone with push-pull (500k)
- Strap buttons: Chapman classic strap buttons