Here's what Tascam say about the 208i:
The new TASCAM SERIES audio interface family provides professional quality.
Expandability, both internal and bundled effects processing, internal mixing, external software control, and more for studio, home, and live recording. With a new look, including an angled tabletop design and large, easy-to-grab knobs, TASCAM sets a new standard for mid-grade audio interfaces.
Special versatile bundled software to produce your music from start to finished master
TASCAM SERIES audio interfaces are bundled with a series of software that allow full operational coverage: at the core of music production is Steinberg's Cubase LE / Cubase LE; for instrumental recordings comes IK Multimedia's AmpliTube with guitar/bass modeling and colorful effects; newly added to the bundle is iZotope's redesigned Neutron Elements, which includes 4 powerful tools for creating great mixes; last but not least, IK Multimedia's T-RackS mastering software will finish up users' creations into high quality masterpieces.
Supreme Audio Fidelity
It all starts with the best sound: TEAC and TASCAM have more than 60 years of high grade audio design experience. TASCAM Ultra-HDDA (High Deﬁnition Discrete Architecture) mic preamp circuitry guarantees transparent natural tone with ultra-low noise.
The new windows driver also allows to set the minimum size of the audio buffer (from only 4 samples), which results lesser round trip latency with maximum performance, suitable for each computer's configuration.
Well-designed interface for quick production
TASCAM SERIES audio interfaces feature a large, easy-to-grab Monitor control knob that ensures you can quickly adjust the monitor output level. Their angled tabletop design offers easy access to all front-panel controls. A handy Monitor Balance control enables mixing live input with computer playback for zero-latency monitoring. Each analog input channel is served by an individually switched +48 volt phantom power supply for condenser microphones.
- Four XLR/TRS combo mic/line/instrument inputs
- Four transparent, natural-sounding, ultra-low noise TASCAM Ultra-HDDA mic preampliﬁers
- Two optical S/MUX expansion ports that accept up to 16 channels of audio input (20 total inputs)
- 8 ¼-inch analog line outputs for versatile monitoring and up to 7.1 surround audio
- Built-in effects: reverb, compressor, four-band EQ
- Powerful 8 bus mixer DSP input/output mixer controlled with free TASCAM Control software
- Software control of faders, routing, aux buses, effects, and phase invert
- Flexible I/O routing allows any analog, optical or USB audio input to be user-assigned to any output ports
- Up to four aux buses to connect up to four stereo pairs of monitor speakers
- Up to 24-bit/192 kHz recording and playback
- Includes Steinberg DAW software and IK Multimedia world-class guitar eﬀects/modeling and mastering software
- MIDI interface
- Dual headphone outputs