Based in Albany, Oregon; Pettyjohn Electronics pedals "are engineered and built in the USA without compromise or shortcuts" - in their own words. Founded by studio engineer Stephen Pettyjohn, the eponymous company uses analogue components almost exclusively in the design of its guitar pedals, for achieving the most traditional and authentic tones possible.
Pettyjohn's PreDrive Studio pedal exemplifies this approach, and is essentially a Swiss army knife for guitarists working in the studio. With the ability use the pedal like a preamp, you can also employ the PreDrive Studio as a flexible re-amping tool, with the ability to interface external pedals into your signal path.
Here's what Pettyjohn Electronics says about the PreDrive Studio:
The PreDrive Studio blurs the lines between high-end recording studio gear and guitar pedals, expanding on the popular “studio” features of the original PreDrive, improving it’s usability and flexibility that will make the PreDrive Studio an in-valuable tool for tone in every studio session!
Powered by two Studio Grade Discrete Opamps, the PreDrive Studio builds on the original PreDrive and LIFT pedal offerings, now featuring even more gain on tap, extended filter range, high headroom, dual power rail design with 9V-18V standard pedal power operation and a whole slew of circuit optimizations along with improved, robust construction.
Most notably, The PreDrive Studio now offers fully balanced In and Out connections via TRS, along with standard un-balanced connections for instruments, making the PreDrive Studio the ultimate studio Swiss army knife. The PreDrive Studio Input can be selected as standard unbalanced for instruments or switched to a line level balanced input that readily excepts any balanced signal from your interface, patch bay, recording console, or even microphone!
The balanced output continuously mirrors the unbalanced output without any tonal change, very handy in a number of creative studio applications. With the PreDrive Studio, you can easily and seamlessly interface between the unbalanced world of instruments and pedals and the balanced world of recording equipment.
The PreDrive can be used as a powerful and flexible re-amping tool, however, the options only start there with many more to choose from! You can easily interface a variety of guitar pedals into your mixing path, process line or microphone signals with pedals without quality degradation, re-amp or simply use it as a audiophile grade direct box.
- Input Gain: The controls the gain of the always-on buffer stage. Leave all the way down for unity gain buffering or add some gain to a low level signal, even in buffer mode.
- Boost Gain: Foot-switchable boost stage, transparently and musically increases the discrete Opamp based preamp gain up to 30 dB with virtually no distortion or artifacts.
- Lows Control: Wide-range sweep-able low cut filter allows for custom tailoring of the low end going into the drive engines. Go from full bass response to tight with a sweep range from 20hz to beyond 1Khz with a 6dB per octave slope for musical sweetening.
- Highs Control: An audiophile approach to a High Cut Filter using the famed Auricap. Clear, defined and sweet through out it’s wide frequency sweep, from 22KHz down to 1 kHz, with a gentle 6 dB per octave slope.
- Left Mini-Toggle bypassed EQ section when its not needed
- Dual-rail power section with 9V to 18V operation range, providing 18V-36V of voltage swing for huge internal headroom while drawing around 50mA
- Accepts any balanced signal, microphone or line level via a top shelf Burr-Brown line level converter chip for superior audiophile performance via bottom Right TRS input jack.
- Right Mini Toggle adjusts between line and mic input levels
- Right Footswitch toggles between the Line input and unbalanced input.
- The lower left TRS jack continuously mirrors the unbalanced output including EQ and Gain settings via a USA made steel core Transformer
- Output TRIM control: The top middle knob adjust the level of the output buffer amp, thus trimming the operating level of both outputs a once.
- Output Level control: The Top Left knob controls the level of the unbalanced output, independent of the balanced out level.
- Box and circuit handmade in the beautiful Pacific Northwest, USA
- Dimensions: 3 5/8”W x 5 5/8”L x 3” H
- Weight: 2.5 lbs