Here's What Neumann Say About the KH 310 A Studio Monitors
High-resolution tri-amplified near-field monitor, optimized for midrange and a dry bass sound.
- Quickest transient response of its class
- Tremendous bass capability down to 34 Hz
- Higher precision in the midrange through a specially designed driver
Expanded Midrange Precision – Dry Bass Sound
With its specially designed midrange driver, the compact KH 310 is particularly suited for precise work with speech, vocals, guitars and other instruments that have a midrange emphasis. Its closed design enables a very fast transient response. The associated low harmonic distortion guarantees a neutral reference sound to meet the highest standards.
The KH 310 is a three-way tri-amplified monitor with thermally protected Class AB amplifiers (210 W and two times 90 W). Its Mathematically Modeled Dispersion™ (MMD™) waveguide delivers sound waves into the room with superior accuracy. The drivers are modeled using Neumann’s in-house developed software, which reduces non-linear distortion in every situation. Sound distributed in a horizontally precise manner ensures flexibility in the listening position; the narrower vertical dispersion reduces the negative effects of nearby reflections, for example from a desk or mixing console. The precisely controlled dispersion characteristics optimize reproduction in different room configurations and the response is extremely adaptable through various acoustical control settings.
Best Working Environment: Close to Professional Ears
The KH 310 is typically used in near-field applications such as project, music, broadcast and post-production studios for recording, mixing and mastering. It it also available as a digital input “D” version.
A Solid Bass Foundation, High Impulse Fidelity
With its powerful switched-mode power supply and tri-channel amplifiers, the KH 310 realizes sound pressure of up to 116.3 dB and thereby retains a high-resolution and neutral representation across the entire frequency response. This provides sufficient energy for even the most demanding impulse dynamics with no distortion or losses. The bass goes down to an impressive 34 Hz.
The closed cabinet design means a lower group delay. This results in almost the entire frequency range being reproduced at the same time; the transient response is precisely controlled at all times.
Ultralight Fabric Dome Optimizes Midrange Reproduction
The optimized design of the driver enables a pristine sound right down to the lowest bass regions. For most applications, the rich foundation offers enough bass extension to work cleanly on the mix without the necessity of a supplementary subwoofer. For demanding treble sounds, our own specially developed, powerful alloy fabric dome ensures distortion-free clarity in the high-frequency range.
The fabric midrange dome captures the middle frequency range with the utmost precision. Its ultralight material and the powerful neodymium magnet enable a significantly better transient response with considerably less distortion than comparable midrange domes.
Hundreds of Good Reasons From the Neumann Philosophy
The KH 310 has been developed true to the Neumann philosophy for monitor loudspeakers. Every component, every shape, every signal and every wave motion is a consequence of this philosophy. No form or component is there without reason. There are hundreds of tangible reasons built into the KH 310, which all stand for exceptionally pure and neutral sound. These include, for example, curvatures of the housing that reduce edge diffraction. Also included is the pistonic output of the bass driver which does not give rise to harmonic distortions, even with the highest sound peaks. Some of these reasons are obvious in the KH 310. Others Neumann prefers to keep to itself. But together, each can be heard – sound professionals in both large and small studios all around the world can testify to this.
- In-house simulated tweeter with alloy fabric dome, robust metal grille and magnetic shielding
- Elliptical Mathematically Modelled Dispersion™ (MMD™) waveguide
- Wide horizontal dispersion
- Narrow vertical dispersion
- Two-color + dimmable Neumann logo
- In-house simulated, neodymium magnet, fabric dome, midrange driver with optimized low stray magnetic field
- In-house modelled long-throw composite sandwich cone bass driver with Extremely Linear Force Factor™ (ELFF™), magnetic shielding and flow optimized die cast basket
- Compact cabinet
- One-piece front panel with no discontinuities
- 4-position bass, low-mid and treble acoustical controls
- Wide range input gain and output level controls
- Display dimmer and ground lift
- XLR electronically balanced analogue input with ground lift
- Universal switched-mode power supply (100 … 240 V)
- Fully documented extensive mounting hardware range
- Powerful amplifiers with large headroom and overheat limiting
- Separate fast acting thermo limiters for woofer, midrange and tweeter to protect the voice coils and power amplifiers
- Production consistency due to individual hand alignment in final testing
- Free field frequency response: 34 Hz … 21 kHz, ± 3 dB
- Pass band free field frequency response: 36 Hz … 20 kHz, ± 2 dB
- Self-generated noise (with controls set to 100 dB SPL and 0 dB): < 20 dB(A) at 10 cm
- Total harmonic distortion: < 0.5 % at 95 dB SPL at 1 m > 85 Hz
- Max. SPL in full space / calc. in half space at 3% THD at 1 m: 110.3 / 116.3 dB SPL (averaged 100 Hz ... 6 kHz)
- Bass Capability (max. SPL calc. in half space at 3% THD at 1 m): 104.5 dB SPL (averaged 50 ... 100 Hz)
- Max. short term SPL with IEC-weighted noise (IEC 60286-5) at 1 m, in typical listening conditions: 113 dB(C) SPL
- Max. short term SPL with music material at 2.3 m, in typical listening conditions (pair): 100 dB(C) SPL (full range), 107 dB(C) SPL (with subwoofer)
- Max. long term SPL with pink noise at 2.3 m, in typical listening conditions (single/pair): 93 / 99 dB(C) SPL (full range), 94 / 100 dB(C) SPL (with subwoofer)
- Bass / Midrange / Treble Class AB amplifiers, cont. (peak) output power: 150 W (210 W) / 70 W (90 W) / 70 W (90 W)
- Controller design: Analog, active
- Crossover frequencies: 650 Hz, 2 kHz
- Crossover slope: 24 dB/oct., 4th order
- Equalization: Bass / Low-Mid / High: 0; −2.5; −5; −7.5 dB / 0; −1.5; −3; −4.5 dB / +1; 0; −1; −2 dB
- Protection circuitry: Excursion and Peak Limiter: Low; Thermo Limiter: Low, Mid, High
- Infrasonic filter frequency; slope: 15 Hz; 6 dB/oct
- Height x width x depth, mm (inches): 253 x 383 x 292 mm (10” x 151/8” x 111/2”)
- Weight: 13.0 kg 13.1 kg
- Drivers, magnetically shielded: Woofer / Midrange / Tweeter: 210 mm (8 1/4”) / 75 mm (3”) / 25 mm (1”)
- Mounting points: 2 x M8 on side panels, depth from outside of cabinet 25 mm (1”). Rear panel screws for attaching LH 41 base plate. Rear panel brackets.