The Music Man StingRay is an iconic bass design, admired for its unique looks and for the punchy tone delivered by its potent-sounding bridge humbucker. To meet the demands of bassists looking for a more affordable version, the Sterling StingRay Classic encompasses the features that everyone loves about the original design but a lower price-point.
The StingRay Classic's body is formed from Mahogany, a deep-sounding tonewood that ensures a rich low-end; serving as a great foundation for the thick tone of the humbucker.
Joined with a bolt-on Maple neck, you can expect a snappy response, giving a fast attack to notes even when playing finger-style.
The main reason why bassists love the tone of the StingRay is because of it ultra-punchy humbucker. Placed near the bridge to also produce a crisp top-end, the definition and clarity of this pickup allows your sound to cut through strongly in a mix, without getting buried.
This is also helped in part by the 2-band active preamp, which adds an extra dimension of fidelity. This also allows you to easily tweak your tone on-the-fly, and set the bass up to suit almost any amplifier.
- Model: StingRay5
- Body Material: Mahogany
- Finish: 3-Tone Sunburst
- Construction: Bolt-On (6 Bolt)
Neck & Fingerboard
- Neck Material: Hard Maple
- Nut Width: 1 .77'' (45mm)
- Scale Length: 34'' (86.4cm)
- Fingerboard Material: Maple
- Fingerboard Radius: 12'' (30.5cm)
- Frets: 21 Medium
- Inlays: Dots
Hardware & Electronics
- Tuning Machineheads: Open Gear
- Bridge: Standard Sterling Bridge
- Truss Rod: Single Action
- Bridge Pickup: Ceramic Humbucker
- Special Electronics: 2-band Active Preamp
- Controls: Volume, Treble, Bass
- Pickguard: Black