The interestingly named Drummer from another Mother (or DFAM) is a rich and powerful percussion module that joins the Mother-32 family of Synthesizers. If you're thinking of the DFAM as a traditional drum machine, you need to open your mind as this synth instrument opens the realms of infinite possibility.
With a sound that really has to be heard to believed, the DFAM smacks you in the face with it's massive analogue sound and punchy potential. Whilst modular gear can seem endlessly confusing to some, the DFAM is activated by an easy-to-use analogue sequencer and provides a hands on experience that everyone from the rack-head to the inexperienced curious musician can enjoy.
It's semi-modular design means you can use it alone or connected to other modular gear you may have. As part of Moog's Mother series, the DFAM is the perfect match to the Mother 32, and the 2 synths together create a powerful Eurorack production environment.
Here's what Moog say about the DFAM Percussion Synth
Drummer From Another Mother (DFAM) is a highly-interactive, Semi-Modular Analog Percussion Synthesizer and a vibrant deviation from the traditional drum machine. Handcrafted in Asheville, NC by the employee-owners at the Moog Factory, DFAM is the first addition to the Mother-32 family of synthesizers and presents an expressive hands-on approach to percussive pattern creation. It requires no patching, and absolutely no experience is needed for human-beings of any age to quickly begin synthesizing new and unique rhythmic compositions.
Activated by an easy-to-use analog sequencer, DFAM’s emotive sound begins with a white noise generator and two wide-range analog oscillators. Oscillator hard sync and FM cross-modulation invite effortless transitions between rhythmic pulsations, resounding bass and resonant bells in an instant. DFAM’s distinctive voice is then shaped by a versatile Moog Ladder filter with two selectable modes: Low Pass mode imparts impact and dimension to each sound it touches, while High Pass mode opens the door to naturally expressive strikes, spikes and clangorous accentuations.
DFAM behaves much like a living organism, reacting in different ways to different individuals. This is due to 3 dedicated analog envelopes working dynamically with the sequencer to ensure that tribal toms breathe, industrial impacts evolve, and cacophonous chaos can be spawned or subdued at the turn of a knob.
Each DFAM ships with a package of Moog patch cables that unlock access to the 24-point modular patchbay. Use it to create new sounds or bizarre behaviors, synchronize an unlimited number of DFAM and Mother-32 units together, or fully integrate your analog instrument into a modular Eurorack production environment.
Through exploration and experimentation, the vast potential of this expressive analog instrument is realized.
- SEMI-MODULAR: No patching required. Anyone can create unique and impactful analog rhythms.
- 100% ANALOG: Unbridled sonic flexibility for a lifetime of percussive inspiration.
- 2 OSCILLATORS: Ultra-wide range sound generation - craft everything from subtly pulsing cadences to clangorous cacophony and floor-splitting bass.
- SELECTABLE ANALOG FILTERS: Dynamically sculpt your sound with a Low Pass or High Pass Ladder filter.
- 3 ENVELOPES: Interact dynamically with velocity to impart “human” variation to your sound.
- 8-STEP ANALOG SEQUENCER WITH VELOCITY: Vibrantly continuous control over each note.
- 24 PATCH POINTS: Explore modular patching or connect to a Mother-32 to create a 3-oscillator leviathan.
- LINK MULTIPLE UNITS: Rack up multiple DFAM and Mother-32 units for evocative analog compositions.
- EXTERNAL AUDIO INPUT: Process other sounds through DFAM’s analog circuitry
- EURORACK COMPATIBLE: Easily remove DFAM from its case and mount it into a Eurorack system. (Requires a 10 to 16 PIN Eurorack cable)