The Billy Duffy White Falcon is probably the most 'modern' Falcon available. This is due in part to the guitar hero coming from Punk legends, The Cult.
A punk legend is going to need a hardcore, no nonsense guitar to go along with the playing style and the sound required for big powerchords and chorused melodies.
The Billy Duffy White Falcon strips away the Gold hardware and instead goes for a simple White and Chrome look. Gretsch have also opted for a silver sparkle binding and a slightly curved bigsby arm, to avoid getting in the way when you are rocking out!
The biggest upgrade for modern simplicity is the custom wound Black Top Filtertron pickups.
Black Top Filtertron
The Filtertron pickups are what you would associate with 'that' Gretsch sound. However, they generally don't have enough winds to give incredibly high ouput or give you a lot of gain.
They are humbuckers with open coils that sound quite similar to single coils. Bright and percussive, but warmer with more low-end than singlecoils.
This is why Billy Duffy needed pickups like the Black Top Filtertrons that still retain that glassy mid range and top end clarity, but have more grunt and growl than normal. The pickups have more winds to give you more attack, but without losing the twang of a Filtertron.
A Modern Classic
The guitar is a contemporary take on a classic as Gretsch have made some new improvements, whilst still retaining its legacy.
The new Gretsch ML bracing allows the guitar to have the stabilty of a solid body so you don't have to worry about taking the Falcon to a gig. In fact, its encouraged.
Other features to get you through a gig would be the Squeezebox capacitors that allow your your dynamic range to be really high.It makes the pickups much more sensitive at different volume levels.
This combined with the treble bleed circuit (to keep your high end glassy when the volume control is used) and the TV Jones Classics make this an incredibly versatile guitar.
The Bigsby is one of the smoothest tremolo systems ever made and has been used by countless artists to create subtle movement in chords and sweet bends. Nothing quite feels like Bigsby tremolo due to the single large spring that creates the movement evenly across all of the strings. If you have loved the sounds of pop and rock throughout the 50's and 60's chances are you have heard plenty of Bigsby playing
Here's What Gretsch Say
Billy Duffy is not afraid to make a statement, and few things make a bolder statement than Duffy wielding his Gretsch White Falcon under the stage lights with British rock legends The Cult. Duffy burst out of London's early '80s post-punk scene in Theatre of Hate before meeting Ian Astbury and forming one of rock 'n' roll's most powerful, unique and long-lasting duos-The Cult. Duffy's combination of thick power chords steeped in rich chorused delay, melodic Morricone-inspired lead phrases and filthy feedback-laden solos created an unparalleled sound larger than most venues could contain.
The Cult's first two albums, Dreamtime and Love, solidified their place among the pre-"alternative" elite, with the latter album featuring what would become their most popular single, "She Sells Sanctuary", which remains a global staple on rock radio twenty years on and was featured on a 2012 Super Bowl advertisement in the States. Every track on those iconic albums exclusively featured his Gretsch White Falcon, and Duffy has made a point to include it on every subsequent album, most notably the chart-topping Electric and Sonic Temple, and their most recent critically acclaimed release Choice of Weapon.
It is with great pleasure that Gretsch is releasing the G7593T Billy Duffy Falcon guitar, which has immediately become one of the most unique and bewitching White Falcon guitars ever made. Featuring much of what Falcon fans hold dear, Duffy's inimitable guitar has several unique aesthetic differences separating it from the rest of the "Falcon" flock-its period-correct '70s Baldwin-era styling, loss nitrocellulose lacquer finish, V-shaped Falcon headstock, Silver Sparkle binding, custom wound hot "Black Top" Filter'Tron humbucking pickups with three-point adjustable '70s-style metal bezels and Duffy's preferred Bigsby tailpiece.
In addition, Duffy's signature bird of prey features a 17" wide, 2 3/4" deep single-cutaway three-ply maple body with a three-ply maple arched top and back and two spruce parallel tone bars and sound post, a three-piece maple/walnut/maple neck with ebony fingerboard, a chrome-plated truss rod cover with Duffy's signature emblazoned on it, a chrome-plated output jack plate, pearloid wide-block fretboard inlays, '70s-style aluminum "G-Arrow" knobs and a premium gray speckled "Billy Duffy" case. The Gretsch G7593T Billy Duffy Falcon guitar is the tool inspired, designed and built to deliver the ultimate statement of rock 'n' roll nirvana.
- Body Shape: Falcon
- Bracing: Parallel Spruce Tone Bars with Sound Post
- Body Material: Laminated Maple
- Body Finish: Gloss Nitrocellulose Lacquer
- Body Back: Arched Laminated Maple
- Body Top: Arched Laminated Maple
- Neck Material: 3-Piece Maple/Walnut/Maple
- Scale Length: 25.5" (648 mm)
- Fingerboard Radius: 12" (305 mm)
- Number of Frets: 22 (Plus Zero Fret)
- Fret Size: Medium Jumbo
- String Nut: Bone
- Nut Width: 1.71" (43.4mm)
- Neck Plate: None
- Neck Finish: Gloss Nitrocellulose Lacquer
- Fingerboard: Ebony
- Position Inlays: Hump-Block
- Bridge Pickup: CUSTOM WOUND "Black Top" Filter'Tron with Hex Socket Cap Screw Pole Pieces and 3-Point Adjustable '70s Style Metal Bezels
- Neck Pickup: CUSTOM WOUND Black Top Filter'Tron with Fillister Head Machine Screw Pole Pieces and 3-Point Adjustable '70s Style Metal Bezels
- Controls: Volume 1. (Neck Pickup), Volume 2. (Bridge Pickup), Master Volume.
- Pickup Switching: 3-Position Toggle: Position 1. Bridge Pickup, Position 2. Bridge and Neck Pickups, Position 3. Neck Pickup
- Pickup Configuration: Filter'Tron / Filter'Tron
- Bridge: Adjusto-Matic with PINNED '70s Style Ebony Base
- Tuning Machines: Grover Imperial with Butter-Bean Buttons
- Orientation: Right-Hand
- Pickguard: None
- Control Knobs: G-Arrow
- Strings: NPS, .010-.046 Gauges
- Unique Features: Chrome Plated Truss Rod Cover with Billy Duffy Signature, Chrome Output Jack Plate, Pearloid Wide-Block Position Inlays, '70s Style Aluminum "G" Arrow Knobs, Premium Gray Speckled Billy Duffy Case