Brought back to life in the 21st Century, the Skyhawk is an old-school G&L design that is now regarded as one of the brand's most versatile models. With clever circuitry giving you access to a wealth of different tones, this guitar can be adapted for almost any musical scenario.
The G&L Deluxe Skyhawk features a bright Ash body. A more popular choice for guitar manufacturers these days, Ash yields a full resonance that serves as a great tonal foundation for the G&L-designed pickups.
Paired with a Maple neck, this material adds some clear top-end definition, while the bolt-on construction gives notes a snappy and immediate quality. Adorned with a Caribbean Rosewood fingerboard, this wood feels smooth and luxurious under the fingers, with the 9 1/2" radius suiting both traditional and contemporary players alike. The 22 frets are also 'Plek-dressed', which ensures that they are incredibly level for an optimal setup.
The Skyhawk is fitted with a trio of powerful G&L-designed single coils. The bridge pickup is aggressive, yet retains the classic characteristics of single coils. It handles overdrive extremely well. The neck humbucker is tamer, with a warmer quality that sounds smooth and precise with clean amps settings. Combine with the middle pickup for an interesting blend of strength and clarity.
Although those sounds may be enough for some, the Skyhawk's flexible circuitry lets you manipulate the sound of the pickups for even more tonal possibilites. The extra mini toggle allows you to select either the neck and bridge pickups, or all at once to go full pelt.
It doesn't end there either, as G&L's acclaimed 'PTB Tone System' is also fitted. Unlike conventional tone controls, with this system you essentially have independent treble and bass EQ controls, so that you can roll off excessive highs and lows respectively.
Regarding hardware, the Skyhawk is installed with G&L's distinctive 'Dual-Fulcrum' tremolo. With its low friction design, the Dual-Fulcrum vibrato has a far smoother action when in use, and lets you slightly raise the guitar's pitch too. Paired with the natural bone note, this is a supreme quality, reliable guitar for gigging.
- CONSTRUCTION: bolt-on
- SCALE: 25 1/2"
- PICKUPS: Leo Fender†-designed G&L MFD™ single coils
- BODY WOOD: Ash body for Clear Orange, Alder body for 3-tone sunburst Firemist
- NECK WOOD: Hard-Rock Maple with Maple or Caribbean Rosewood fingerboard
- NECK PROFILE: G&L Modern Classic with 9 1/2" radius and 1 11/16" nut-width
- NUT: 100% natural bone
- FRETS: 22 medium jumbo, nickel, Plek dressed
- TUNING KEYS: 12:1 ratio, sealed-back
- BRIDGE: Leo Fender-designed G&L Dual-Fulcrum™ vibrato with forged brass saddles
- CONTROLS: 5-position pickup selector, volume, treble, bass (PTB™ system), mini-toggle switch enabling additional pickup combinations of neck+bridge or all three pickups together.
- CASE: Deluxe Tolex hardshell