The ML2 is Chapman's singlecut guitar, the second that was collaboratively designed with the Chapman fanbase after the ML1. With simple yet effective features and an alluring design, this is a guitar that's got a lot going for it - and it won't break the bank! Better still, the V2 models are made in a new factory - baked tonewoods for improved resonance and durability, improved rolled fretboard edges and US-made pickup magnets. They're onto a winner...
New and Improved Pickups
All V2 Chapman instruments are equipped with brand new pickups made in-house in their new factory. Unlike their previous pickup designs, these feature new magnets sourced specially from the US. Many guitar pickups use generic magnets, the same that you might find in cars or household appliances - these are tailor-made for use in guitars. If you thought the previous humbuckers and single coils sounded great, you’ll love the fresh tone of these precisely-wound models.
Chapman have re-voiced the pickups to provide crisper articulation, a more pronounced midrange and smoother low and high-end frequencies. You’re guaranteed to get studio sound quality and brilliant definition in live use.
Body & Neck
Chapman have opted for Mahogany for the ML2 Modern's body - a classic singlecut choice, you can expect rich sustain and a brilliantly warm low-end and midrange.
The neck uses Maple, again very familiar territory; a satin finish and a C-shape profile ensures a comfortable playability and the perfect amount of twang. As with most of Chapman's guitars, a rolled fretboard and a volute near the headstock adds to the sturdiness and comfort-factor - you can't go wrong at this price point.
Hardware & Electronics
Two Chapman Stentorian Zero humbuckers provide plenty of heat to back up the Mahogany and Maple combination. Designed as a more contemporary take on PAF-inspired pickups, they use Alnico V magnets. This means hotter output and more 'unified' chord sounds.
To top it all off, glorious chrome hardware; combined with the subtle body curves and contrasting Ebony fretboard, you've got a classy contemporary look that's fully functional. All things considered, the ML2 Modern Standard looks and plays far better than its humble price tag might suggest!
- Headstock: Angled pennant headstock
- Neck: Maple with satin finish
- Neck type: C shape set neck with velute
- Top: Front edge bevel with gloss finish
- Body: Mahogany with gloss finish
- Body carves: Front lower spoon cut, rear tummy cut, rear lower spoon cut, rear heel contour
- Fretboard: Ebony fretboard with rolled edges
- Binding: Reveal
- Frets: 24 jumbo nickel frets
- Fret markers: Pearl side dots and pearl chapman bar inlays on front
- 12th fret inlay: Pearl infinity
- Scale length: 635mm (~25")
- Tuners: Chapman classic closed (18:1 gearing)
- String nut: Graph Tech black tusq XL nut
- Strings: D'addario nyxl nickel wound super light, 09-42
- Truss rod: Dual action
- Bridge: Chapman tune-o-matic with stop tail
- Neck pickup: Chapman Stentorian Zero humbucker, Magnet: alnico 5 output: 9.5k ohms
- Bridge pickup: Chapman Stentorian Zero humbucker, Magnet: alnico 5 output: 14.5k ohms
- Pickup switch: 3 way toggle switch with coil split on push-pull tone knob
- Controls: Neck volume (500k) and bridge volume (500k), master tone with push-pull (500k)
- Strap buttons: Chapman classic strap buttons