Brian may is known the world over for his work with Queen, but not many realise he's also keen on designing guitars. The Brian Man Signature is a production model of the guitar that featured on many Queen records and graced the biggest stages in the world!
Here's what Brian May Guitars says about the Special LE:
The result of a unique collaboration between Brian May, his long-standing guitar tech Pete Malandrone and House Music, the best-selling BMG SPECIAL combines the distinctive aesthetics and sound of the legendary Red Special with a wealth of modern appointments and superb quality, production-line craftsmanship.
All the foundations of the trademark BM sound are present and correct, with construction, pickups and electronics faithfully reproducing the original's unique character and tonal versatility. But this is so much more than just a replica... with a price-tag and a range of new colours driven by Brian's concept of a guitar "for the people", The Special is designed to provide modern players of all musical persuasions with an affordable pro-grade instrument that is the perfect "go-to" guitar for any performance environment.
Acoustic Chambered Mahogany Body
True to the look and spirit of the "Old Lady", the instantly recognisable pinstripe-bound, double cutaway mahogany body features an acoustic chamber modelled on Brian's original design that enhances the Special's natural resonance and decreases weight.
24" Scale Mahogany Neck
Engineered with a decidely contemporary feel, and considerably less deeply contoured than the somewhat gargantuan proportions of the "Old Lady", the glued-in Mahogany neck sports a generous 45mm nut width, comfortably spacious "D" profile and wonderfully smooth 24 fret ebony fingerboard.
Tri-Sonic Style Pickups
Modern replicas of the classic '60's Burns design units that are so fundamental to the Red Special's powerful sonic character, the three series-wired, single-coil pickups feature the same retro-styling, winding and magnet alignment as the originals.
Original BM Switching System
As per the original BM design, The Special is equipped with 6 white-capped slider switches controlling individual pickup on/off and phase reversal and providing a vast range of tonal variations.
Wilkinson Knife-Edge Tremolo
Trevor Wilkinson's "Wave" tremolo-bridge provides a strikingly modern look to The Special as well as delivering smooth, comfortable performance and exceptional stability and sustain.
Grover Locking Tuners
Featuring Grover's innovative Rotomatic® internal "Locking Cam", these superb machine heads automatically lock your strings as you tune, allowing for super-fast string changes and ensuring rock-solid tuning stability, even with heavy tremolo use.
- Body: Acoustic Chambered Mahogany with Bookmatched Mahogany Top
- Binding: 6-Ply Pinstripe, Front + Back
- Neck: 1-Piece Mahogany
- Finish: Gloss
- Truss Rod: Dual Action (440mm)
- Fingerboard: Ebony
- Frets: 24 Medium Jumbo 18% Nickel Frets + Zero Fret
- Fret Wire Dimensions Crown Height : 2.7mm (0.106"), Crown Width : 0.914mm (0.036"), Radius : 230mm (9.0")
- Inlays: White Front + Side Dots (Φ 6mm /Φ 1.5mm)
- Neck Join: Set Neck Construction
- Pickups: 3 x BM Brand Custom Tri-Sonic Style Series Wired Single Coil
- Switches: White Slider Switches, 3 x Pickup On/Off, 3 x Pickup Phase In/Out
- Controls: Master Volume + Master Tone (500k) with BM Replica, Lathe-Turned, Billet Stock, Aluminium Control Knobs
- Bridge: Wilkinson WVP Knife Edge Tremolo (36mm Block) with Brass Saddles, Custom BMG Trem Arm with Plastic Tip
- Machineheads: 3-A-Side Grover 406 Mini Locking Rotomatic® Tuners
- Nut: Graphite/PPS Black (45mm x 6mm)
- Scratchplates: Plastic Main Control Plate, Half-Moon Tail Plate, Matching Truss Rod Cover, Tremolo Cavity Cover
- Overall Length: 98.8cm (38.9")
- Body Length: 40.63cm (16")
- Body Width: 35.67cm (14")
- Body Depth: 40mm (1.57")
- Fingerboard Radius: 250mm (9.8")
- Scale: 610mm (24")
- Neck Width @ Nut: 45mm (1.77")
- Neck Width @ 12th Fret: 53mm (2.09")
- Neck Width @ 24th Fret: 57mm (2.24")
- Neck Depth @ 1st Fret: 22mm (0.87")
- Neck Depth @ 12th Fret: 24mm (0.94")
- String Spacing @ Nut: 36mm (1.42")
- String Spacing @ 12th Fret: 45mm (1.77")
- Weight Approx: 3.2kg (7lbs)
- Strings: D'Addario XL-120 Super Light, Plain Steel .009 - .011 - .016, Nickel Wound .024 - .032 - .042
- Included Extras: Premium Quality Gig Bag with Stitched Brian May Guitars Logo
- Country Of Origin World Musical Instruments Co. Ltd. - South Korea