Picture may show a different kit configuration to what is advertised. Please check description to see what is included in this kit.
Derived from Greek Mythology, the word 'Protean' means versatile and diverse. Coincidentally, that's also what the words 'Gavin Harrison' translate to in drum speak!
The Ultimate Working Snare
Harrison set out with Sonor to create a snare that was reliable, versatile and practical. With years of experience under his belt, he knew the importance of being able to rely on gear to get the job done day after day, and be applicable to any scenario that it's placed in. The result was the Protean Signature Snare series, handcrafted in Germany with your most rigorous requirements in mind.
The 14" is made with 6-ply birch with hybrid bearing edges, a combination last used by Sonor in 1975 but favoured by Harrison for it's distinct quality. The chrome-plated hardware includes hybrid hoops and a version of the dual glide system, making interchange and combination of snare wires quick and hassle-free. The vintage lugs use the TuneSafe configuration, making them easier and more consistent when it comes to finding your preferred timbre.
This Premium Edition also comes with a special Protean Case from Hardcase UK, so you can take it it to every jam, session or gig without ever worrying about damaging it! This truly is the working musician's snare, with outstanding tonal range, a host of practical features and a build quality that's second to none. You won't be disappointed!
Here's what Gavin Harrison has to say about his signature 14" snare:
"When I had the chance to design this Snare Drum together with SONOR I knew exactly what I wanted to achieve because it is based on my experience of the last 30 years playing professionally. I chose the shell material, the hybrid bearing edges, the dampening rings, the S-Hoop and the 8-strand snare wires because I know they work in all sorts of different situations. We called the drum ‘Protean’ because it’s versatile and you can change the features very quickly to get a sound that will be musically right. I wanted the look of the drum to be able to fit in with any drum set. It has a sleek Art Deco look about it with a classic black satin finish."
- Shell hardware finish: chrome plated
- Shell material: Birch
- Shell construction: Medium
- Lugs configuration: TuneSafe
- Snare strainer: Dual Glide System (Snare quick release used under license from Dunnett US patent 7745712)
- Snare wire wires: 1 x SW 1408 S "Straight 8", 8 stainless steel wires centrally positioned - pre-assembled; 1 x SW 1408 MS "Spacer", 8 brass wires in unique spacing and 1 x SW 1408 B "EQ", 8 bronze wires off center - stored in a exclusive wooden box
- Hardware included: 1 x Protean 14" snare drum; 3 x dampening ring (Light, Medium, Heavy); 2 x Protean tuning key; 1 x Snare wire wooden box; 1 x Protean case by Hardcase
- Shell plies: 6 plies
- Shell finish: Semi Gloss Black Lacquer 13118
- Shell size : 14" x 5.25"
- Shell thickness: 6 mm
- Batter head: REMO USA CS Controlled Sound, white coated, black dot on bottom, single ply
- Resonance head: REMO Ambassador Resonance, smooth clear, single ply
- Hoop: Hybrid Hoops: S-Hoop on top, special 2.3 mm Power Hoop with cutaway on bottom
- Bearing edge: Hybrid Bearing Edges, Vintage round on top, modern 45 degree on bottom