Not to be mistaken for the more affordable Sterling line made in the Far East, this is a fully-fledged American made bass.
It's got a small comfortable body with a big, bold sound and similar punch and attack to the sound of a Stingray bass with an active 3-band EQ and hum-cancelling phantom coil pickup. So it allows you to cut through the mix like a singlecoil but still retains the power of a humbucker pickup.
Everybody knows Leo Fender started Fender - but did you know that after he sold Fender, he went on to create both Music Man & G&L Guitars? Well you do now!
Music Man are based in the USA and make a stunning range of guitars & basses from both their US based custom shop, and also under licence in the far east. The most iconic Music Man instrument is probably the Stingray Bass, but in addition to this the Music Man Axis & Silhouette guitars have become extremely well known. With artists like Tony Levin, Steve Lukather, John Petrucci & Albert Lee (plus a lot more!) using Music Man guitars & basses, you'll be in good company should you choose to buy one of these!
Here's what Music Man say about the Sterling Bass
Renowned for its slightly smaller body and neck profile, the Sterling 4 string bass boasts a big sound. 9 volt active 3 band EQ preamp, 3 position pickup selector switch and a ceramic humbucker with hum canceling phantom coil come standard on the Sterling, allowing this bass to cut through any mix.
- Model: Sterling
- Size: 12-1/2" wide, 1-5/8" thick, 43-7/8" long (31.8 cm wide, 4.1 cm thick, 111.4 cm long)
- Weight: 9 lbs, 0 oz (4.08 kg) - varies slightly
- Body Wood: Ash
- Body Finish: High gloss polyester
- Bridge: Standard - Music Man chrome plated, hardened steel bridge plate with stainless steel saddles with nickel plated brass saddles
- Scale Length: 34" (86.4 cm)
- Neck Radius: 11" (27.9 cm)
- Headstock Size: Only 7-5/8" (19.4 cm) long
- Frets: 22 - High profile, wide
- Neck Width: 1-1/2" (38.1 mm) at nut, 2-1/2" (63.5 mm) at last fret
- Neck Wood: Select maple neck
- Fingerboard: Fretted - maple or rosewood; Fretless - Pau Ferro with or without inlaid fretlines
- Neck Finish: Gunstock oil and hand-rubbed special wax blend
- Tuning Machines: Schaller BM, with tapered string posts
- Truss Rod: Adjustable - no component or string removal
- Neck Attachment: 5 bolts - perfect alignment with no shifting; Sculpted neck joint allows smooth access to higher frets
- Electronic Shielding: Graphite acrylic resin coated body cavity and aluminum lined control cover
- Controls: Single Pickup, 3-band active preamp; vol, treble, mid, bass; Dual Pickup, 3-band active preamp; vol, treble, mid, bass; Piezo, 3-band active preamp; vol, treble, mid, bass
- Switching: Single Pickup - 3-way lever pickup selector; Dual Pickup - 5-way lever pickup selector
- Pickups: Standard - Music Man® humbucking with ceramic magnets and hum canceling phantom coil; Optional - Dual Humbucking with ceramic magnets