The American Original 60s P Bass pays tribute to the workhorse bass guitar that was seen in clubs around the world. The classic thumpy tones changed the world and this modern guitar captures the original essence and vibe of that bass.
The Vintage Tall frets are easy to play and feel great on the '63 C-Shaped neck.
The American Original Range
The American Original range focus on decades rather specific years - which could get quite confusing at times.
These basses have also got a Modern fretboard radius with a vintage-shaped neck to ensure they're as playable as possible.
One of the best things about the American Original guitars is their Nitro-Cellulose finish which is done to ensure that these instruments resonate like the Fender guitars of old. The Nitro finish is thinner than a modern gloss finish and this allows the wood to breathe and resonate.
The nitro finish will also mean the guitar will age beautifully. So your instrument will grow old with you and simply sound better with age as the wood and finish settles.
Here's what Fender say about the American Original 60s P Bass
By the 1960s, the Precision Bass was the workhorse electric bass; from the clubs of Detroit to the beaches of Southern California, its tone laid the foundation for modern music. The American Original ‘60s Precision Bass has all of the features with which the P Bass conquered the world of music—elegantly simple, its sound, style and comfort are joined by modern playability.
The Pure Vintage ’63 P Bass split-coil pickup is as period-correct as possible, from the enamel-coated coil wire to the cloth-covered output wires, fiber bobbins and alnico 5 magnets. There’s no mistaking the powerful punch of this pickup that helped shape the sound of modern music. The thick “1963 C”-shaped neck profile gracefully fills the fret hand, while the 9.5”-radius fingerboard will feel familiar to any player. Other authentic touches include vintage-tall frets, original-era body radii, vintage-style hardware—including a four-saddle vintage-style bridge—vintage-style hardshell case and a lacquer finish that not only lets the wood “breathe” naturally with resonant tone, it also wears in a distinctively appealing way.
An updated take on the instrument that created the pop culture soundtrack of the 20th century, the American Original ‘60s Precision Bass is the best way to get original-era sound and style with today’s feel.
- Alder body with lacquer finish
- Single Pure Vintage ‘63 split-coil P Bass pickup
- Thick “1963 C”-shaped neck profile; 9.5”-radius fingerboard
- Vintage-style hardware; four-saddle bridge
- Includes vintage-style hardshell case
- Series: American Original
- Body Material: Alder
- Body Finish: Gloss Nitrocellulose Lacquer
- Neck: Maple, “1963 C”
- Neck Finish: Gloss Nitrocellulose Lacquer
- Fingerboard: Round-Laminated Rosewood, 9.5” (241 mm)
- Frets: 20, Vintage Tall
- Position Inlays: Vintage Clay Dot
- Nut (Material/Width): Bone, 1.73” (44 mm)
- Tuning Machines: Pure Vintage Reverse Open-gear
- Scale Length: 34” (864 mm)
- Bridge: 4-Saddle Vintage Style with Threaded Steel Saddles
- Pickguard: 4-Ply Brown Shell
- Pickups: Pure Vintage ‘63 Split Single-Coil Precision Bass
- Controls: Master Volume, Master Tone
- Control Knobs: Knurled Flat-Top
- Hardware Finish: Nickel/Chrome
- Strings: Fender® USA Bass 7250M, NPS (.045-.105 Gauges)
- Case/Gig Bag: Black Hardshell