The G&L CLF Research L-2500 is a modern update to the classic, yet lesser known Leo Fender bass design.
G&L is the final legacy of legendary guitar builder Leo Fender. When Leo, along with George Fullerton, founded G&L in 1979 he, in addition to re-working his old iconic designs, set about creating new ones.
Leo has many classic, popular bass designs, and the L-2500 deserves its place among them. Nearly 40 years after the original came out G&L are keeping the design alive with the CLF Research model – named after Leo’s own research company.
Body and Neck
Interestingly, this bass utilises a lightweight basswood for its body. Tonally, it has been compared closer to Alder with its full tone and resonance.
The maple neck has a comfortable, slim, C-shape neck profile that fits well in the hand. The fingerboard radius is 9 and ½” which is common amongst Leo Fender-designed instruments and is a happy medium between flatter modern radii and vintage, more curved radii. The caribbean rosewood fingerboard makes for a very smooth playing experience and it has been said that maple adds a snap and brightness to the tone.
Electronics and Hardware
The CLF Research L-2500 features two Magnetic Field Design (MFD) humbuckers for thick yet versatile sounds. MFD is another of Leo’s innovations and is essentially a ceramic bar magnetic with individually adjustable soft iron pole pieces. In practical terms, this results in higher output per wind giving these a full and powerful sound.
The versatility of this bass is furthered by the switching options available to you. This L-2500 features three mini toggles:
- 3 position pickup selector
- Series/parallel switch
- 3 position pre-amp mode switch
These switches, along with the volume, treble, and bass knobs provide so many options for switching up your sound within one bass.
The bridge is a G&L Saddle Lock and features chrome-plated brass saddles and, as brass is known for its impressive sustain and resonance, this bridge definitely adds to the L-2500’s tone.
- Pickups: Two G&L Magnetic Field humbucking pickups
- Body Wood: Basswood
- Neck Wood: Hard Rock Maple with Caribbean Rosewood fingerboard
- Neck Profile: CLF/G&L 1 5/8" slim C with 9 1/2" radius
- Frets: Medium Jumbo, Jescar 57110 18% nickel silver
- Tuning Keys: Custom G&L "Ultra-Lite" with aluminum tapered string posts
- Bridge: Leo Fender-designed G&L Saddle Lock with chrome-plated brass saddles
- Electronics: Tri-Tone system with 3-position pickup selector, series/parallel switch, 3-position pre-amp mode switch, volume, treble, bass
- Case: Deluxe Tolex hardshell