The Jazz Bass is among some of the most recognisable instruments of all time. Originally intended, as the name suggests, for the upmarket jazz crowd; it surpassed all expectations, becoming a go-to bass guitar for everyone from Jaco Pastorius to RHCP's Flea. For the Contemporary Series, Squier have injected the classic Jazz Bass design with modern playability and a revitalised sound!
This limited edition FSR version comes fitted with a rock-solid Roasted Maple neck, a feature typically found on premium instruments, and is finished in a stunning matte Midnight Blue colour-scheme with an elegant matching headstock.
For the Active Jazz Bass V, Squier have opted for an Ash body. Originally used by Fender for their earliest solid-body offerings in the '50s, it provides a scooped mid-range with accentuated lows and highs. This allows you to sit comfortably in a mix without interfering with other frequencies - plus it's brilliant for the more adventurous player who favours drop-tunings or a bit of slap now and then.
Roasted Maple Neck
The Squier Contemporary Jazz Bass V's Roasted Maple neck doesn't only look great - it feels amazing to play too, especially with the comfortable "C"-shaped profile. Roasted Maple is formed by removing moisture from the material. This in turn causes the resins in the wood to harden, which not only creates a gorgeous dark colouration, but also provides increased stability and improved resistance to temperature and humidity changes.
Black chrome hardware is used throughout; combined with the standard open-gear tuners and HiMass 5-saddle bridge, your left with more than a handful of retro undertones - respectful of the Jazz Bass' rich heritage. Metal dome knobs add a little touch of high-end class to finish it off.
SQR Ceramic Humbuckers
Finally, as the name suggests, Squier have loaded this model with two high-output humbuckers - the SQR Active Ceramics. This final element tips the Contemporary Active Jazz Bass V into modern tonal territory, offering extreme clarity and sustain. Perfectly suited to anything from crushing metal riffage to spanky funk basslines!
- Dual Squier SQR ceramic humbucking pickups
- Active 9-volt preamp with controls for Volume, Blend, Tone and Bass/Treble Boost
- Modern “C”-shaped neck profile with 12”-radius fingerboard
- Roasted Maple fingerboard with 20 frets
- Matching painted headstock
- Black chrome hardware
- Body: Ash
- Body Finish: Matte Polyester
- Body Shape: Jazz Bass
- Neck Material: Roasted Maple
- Neck Finish: Natural Satin Urethane with Satin Matching Headstock
- Neck Shape: "C" Shape
- Scale Length: 34" (86.36 cm)
- Fingerboard: Roasted Maple
- Fingerboard Radius: 12" (305 mm)
- Number of Frets: 20
- Frets Size: Narrow Tall
- String Nut: Synthetic Bone
- Nut Width: 1.875" (47.6 mm)
- Position Inlays: Black Dot
- Truss Rods: Dual-Action
- Bridge Pickup: Squier SQR Ceramic Humbucker
- Neck Pickup: Squier SQR Ceramic Humbucker
- Preamp: Active 9-Volt
- Controls: Master Volume, Blend, Master Tone, Bass/Treble Boost
- Bridge: 5-Saddle HiMass Vintage-Style Bass
- Hardware Finish: Black Chrome
- Tuning Machines: Standard Open-Gear
- Pickguard: 3-Ply Black
- Control Knobs: Metal Dome
- Strings: Nickel Plated Steel (.045-.130 Gauges)