The Vintage Ultra is for bass players who want total control of their driven bass tones without them being super modern and wild. As the name suggests, you get a Vintage driven sound rather than modern Djent sound.
Darkglass have recently gained a lot of fame for their driven bass tones and are probably considered as the market leaders in that regard at the moment.
Separate Distortion & Preamp
You can control your preamp sound and your distortion separately and even activate them at different times. This allows you to turn distortion on for different sections of the songs.
All the controls!
Starting off on the top row of controls you have your Master volume for the preamp, Blend to mix the clean and overdriven signals, Level sets the volume of the overdriven signal and finally Drive sets the amount of overdrive. Just with these controls you have enough to get everything from a subtle boost to your signal to all out overdriven Hard Rock heaven!Moving down a layer you hit the EQ section. Bass, Lo Mids, Hi Mids and Treble all act like you would expect but it still has a couple more tricks. For example the Grunt switch sets the amount of low end signal to saturate by applying a boost to a set range of frequencies before clipping. The Attack does the same thing but for the high end frequencies. Finally you can select the frequencies you want to control with a pair of switches that let you go between three options for both the hi mid and lo mid controls.
Here's what Darkglass say about the Vintage Ultra
The Vintage Ultra is the result of the finest engineering process we have ever accomplished. 40 years ago it was necessary to carry a massive amp to have a rich, tight and articulate sound for bass players.
Today, all you need is a super portable preamp which enables on one side a massive clean sound, and from the other side, a tasty saturated sound. This is a true elixir for low end lovers.
- Master -Whereas the Level Knob controls the output of the overdrive section the Master volume adjusts the overall volume of the unit. Ideal for fine tuning the output on clean mode. It also serves as a DI level control.
- Blend - Mixes the clean input signal with the overdriven signal. The clean signal remains at unity gain while the volume of the overdriven signal is set by the Level knob, allowing for fine control of the blend ratio.
- Level - Sets the volume of the overdriven signal.
- Drive - Sets the amount of saturation in the overdriven signal.
- Attack Switch - Sets the amount of treble content to saturate: The "Boost" setting emphasizes the treble content extra clarity and presence. The "Flat" position leaves this register untouched while the "Cut" position will reduce the amount of high frequencies being saturated.
- Grunt Switch - Sets the amount of low frequency content to saturate by selecting between three different bass boost levels before the clipping stage.
- Bass - +-12dB @ 100Hz
- Lo Mids - +-12dB switchable 250Hz, 500Hz and 1kHz
- Hi Mids - +-12dB switchable 750Hz, 1.5KHz and 3kHz
- Treble - +-12dB @ 5kHz
- Direct Output - A balanced version of the ¼” output, useful for running into PA’s or studio mixing consoles.
- DIMENSIONS - 10.7x12 cm (4.21x4.72 in)
- The Vintage Ultra has a current draw of 30mA. Only use a regulated 9V DC adapter with a center-negative plug. Due to ecological reasons it does not accept batteries. Unregulated power supplies and/or higher voltages may result in suboptimal noise performance and even damage your unit, voiding the warranty