In 2015 Boss released the BB-1X a very powerful and versatile bass overdrive pedal. Now Boss are using the same MDP technology to offer the second most essential bass pedal...the compressor. The BC-1X is made to be simple on the outside but complex underneath the hood. This makes getting complex studio grade compression a piece of cake.
Studio Grade Compression
Compression on bass is not like on guitar. When working with a guitar signal compression is a nice addition to have depending on the tone. On bass a decent compressor is pretty much a must have as you will be constantly fighting with the rest of the band for frequency space. EQ does help here but nothing sets up you up for great tone like a good compressor.
That is where the BC-1X comes in handy with its simple to understand controls that you would have seen in any studio. Ratio, Threshold, Release and Level controls can be found on the top of the pedal and are all you need to create nearly any compression style you need.
Since it is such an essential pedal there are all kinds of options available. The thing to watch out for though with compressors is colouring and tone sucking. Because of how compression works it is very hard to find one that keeps your tone your tone and just compresses the frequencies you want. That control is what makes the BC-1X so good.
Here's What BOSS Say About the BC-1X
Intelligent Multiband Compression For Dynamic Players
Equipped with cutting-edge BOSS technology, the BC-1X Bass Comp performs far beyond the capabilities of conventional bass compressor pedals. This premium stompbox features pro-level multiband compression controlled by intelligent circuitry, making it simple to dial in natural sounds for any playing style. The advanced design responds to different dynamics and registers to apply the perfect amount of compression in real time, ensuring that your tone never gets over-squeezed or muddy. Transparent, powerful, and easy to use, the BC-1X is a must-have tool that delivers studio-quality punch and precision for dynamic players.
Advanced Technology for Natural Sound
Compression is an indispensible tool for the modern bassist. While there are many bass compressor pedals available, the BC-1X stands alone as a completely unique product. Unlike conventional units that compress the fundamental tone and muffle the sound, the advanced BOSS MDP tech in the BC-1X provides perfectly natural compression that never overwhelms the character of your instrument. Every nuance is captured and processed accurately, even with aggressive compressor settings. In every register your sound is true, allowing you to put your heart into playing without fussing with different settings for every song or style.
Infinite Tonal Possibilities with Simple Controls
While normal compressors can be difficult to dial in just right, the BC-1X takes all the guesswork out of getting great sound. Hidden behind the pedal’s simple four-knob interface is a complex multiband processor with numerous interlocking parameters. As you turn the knobs, many parameters are adjusted at once, enabling a wide range of tone shaping with minimal effort. And thanks to the intelligent tech inside, you’ll always achieve perfect sounds at every setting, from subtle dynamic control to extreme compression for effect.
Pro Features for Performing Players
The BC-1X was designed with pro practicality in mind. The 18-volt input circuitry provides ample headroom without clipping, even with the hottest signals from active basses. A 12-segment gain reduction indicator clearly displays the amount of compression at all times, a high-end feature rarely seen in stompbox compressors. The pedal’s noise performance is extremely low in comparison with other compressors, another huge benefit brought by BOSS technology. And with the road-proven BOSS compact chassis, the BC-1X ensures bulletproof reliability for years of demanding pro use.
- Intelligent circuitry adapts to every register and playing nuance, providing natural compression that preserves the fundamental bass tone
- Interactive internal processing enables users to dial in sophisticated multiband compressor settings with simple stompbox controls
- Professional 18-volt input electronics provide ample headroom for any bass, ensuring clean and punchy sound with no distortion
- High-resolution gain reduction indicator shows the current compression amount at a glance
- Digital circuitry greatly reduces noise, a common problem with standard compressors
- BOSS five-year warranty
- Nominal Input Level-20 dBu
- Input Impedance1 M ohm
- Nominal Output Level-20 dBu
- Output Impedance1 k ohm
- Recommended Load Impedance10 k ohms or greater
- Buffered bypass
- Pedal switch
- THRESHOLD knob
- RATIO knob
- RELEASE knob
- LEVEL knob
- CHECK indicator (Serves also as battery check indicator)
- GAIN REDUCTION indicator
- INPUT jack
- OUTPUT jack
- DC IN jack
- Alkaline battery (9V, 6LR61) or Carbon-zinc battery (9V, 6F22)
- AC adaptor (sold separately)
- 18 V
- 90 mA
Expected battery life under continuous use (These figures will vary depending on the actual conditions of use.)
- Alkaline: Approx. 3 hours
- Owner's Manual
- Leaflet ("USING THE UNIT SAFELY," "IMPORTANT NOTE," and "Information")
- Alkaline battery (9V, 6LR61)
Size and Weight
- Width: 73 mm (2-7/8 inches)
- Depth: 129 mm (5-1/8 inches)
- Height: 59 mm (2-3/8 inches)
- Weight: (including battery):450 g (1 lb)