The Gretsch G6131-MY Malcolm Young Signature is a close recreation of the AC/DC rhythm guitarist's most iconic, battle-scarred Jet model. Paying homage to the legendary man and the instrument that powered some of the band's biggest riffs, the G6131-MY is a truly special instrument that captures the perfect raw-rock vibe.
Featuring a Mahogany body and neck, the G6131-MY emits a warm and rounded tone, with plenty of low-end grunt and a punchy mid-range, to ensure that riffs really cut through in a mix. With a semi-gloss satin finish that brings out the natural wood grain in all of its glory, this porous body is also chambered to reduce the overall weight of the instrument. This allows the guitar to resonate better, giving it a more vibrant acoustic quality that sounds bright and airy - even unplugged.
The G6131-MY's neck features a standard "U" profile, feeling substantial in the left hand for fretting open chords comfortably, just like Malcolm did. Adorned with a gorgeous Ebony fretboard, this sleek material offers a smooth feel and a snappy quality, giving an immediate response to notes. With the Neo-Classic Thumbnail fret inlays, these elegant markers can easily help you to identify where you are at all areas of the neck.
Electronics & Hardware
Malcolm Young famously removed the middle and neck pickups from his original "The Beast" Jet guitar, and the G6131-MY embraces Young's modifications by bearing two open pickup cavities. As he found himself using only the bridge pickup, Malcolm removed the other pickups not just for the sake of simplicity, but also to reduce the magnetic pull on the strings to ultimately improve sustain.
The single bridge pickup is a TV Jones Power’Tron, which delivers a focused mid-range with plenty of top-end bite. With a medium output, this pickup works incredibly well both clean and overdriven, giving chords a jangly and bright character with amazing clarity.
The pinned Space-Control bridge features a stylish Ebony base, paired with a ‘60s Jet Vibrato for that old-school feel and aesthetic. A set of high-quality Schaller Die-Cast tuners will keep your tuning in check, with the classy G-Arrow control knobs retaining that vintage charm.
- Edition: Artist Signature
- Body Shape: Jet™
- Body Material: Chambered Mahogany
- Body Finish: Semi-Gloss Lacquer
- Body & Neck Binding: Aged White
- Body Depth: 2” (50.5 mm)
- Upper Bout: 10.5” (267 mm)
- Lower Bout: 13.5” (343mm)
- Waist: 8.625” (219mm)
- Neck: Mahogany, Standard “U”
- Neck Mounting: Dovetail
- Neck Finish: Semi-Gloss Lacquer
- Fingerboard: Ebony, 12” (305 mm)
- Frets: 22 (Plus Zero Fret), Jumbo
- Position Inlays: Neo-Classic™ Thumbnail
- Nut (Material/Width): Bone, 1.6875” (42.86 mm)
- Tuning Machines: Schaller® Die-Cast
- Scale Length: 24.6” (625 mm)
- Bridge: Space-Control™ with Ebony Base, Pinned
- Tailpiece: Gretsch® ‘60s Jet™ Vibrato
- Pickups: TV Jones® Power’Tron™ (Bridge)
- Controls: Volume 1. Bridge Pickup, Master Volume, Master Tone
- Control Knobs: G-Arrow
- Hardware Finish: Nickel
- Strings: NPS, .010-.046 Gauges
- Case/Gig Bag: Included: 099-6410-000 G6238 Deluxe Solid Body Hardshell Case