2018 marks the 50-year anniversary of when Gibson introduced reissues to the guitar industry. Whilst it might seem unthinkable today, Gibson stopped producing traditional Les Pauls between 1961 and 1968 but when the Les Paul made its comeback in '68 the Goldtop was one of the models reintroduced.
The expert builders at the Gibson Custom Shop have made a Goldtop Les Paul based on an original model from 1968. This is an exact replica of the original and will give you the look, feel, and sound of a vintage model without the price tag to match.
Body and Neck
The body is made from a solid piece of lightweight, non-weight-relieved Mahogany which will make it comfortable to play without compromising on the sustain and tone that comes from a Les Paul's solid mahogany construction. This guitar features a glued-in, long tenon Mahogany neck for added sustain and stability, the latter of which is only enhanced by the use of hide glue which creates a stronger bond between materials. Hide glue is also used to secure the Maple top and the Rosewood fingerboard so you can be assured of the durability of this guitar.
This particular guitar has a heavy relic finish to replicate the well-worn condition of the original. The relicing gives you the look and feel of a well-played vintage instrument at a much lower cost.
The 50th Anniversary Goldtop comes loaded with two Custom P-90 pickups which give it the fat single-coil tone that Goldtop Les Pauls are known for. P-90s are versatile pickups that can handle warm, clean styles like Jazz and Blues but also have plenty of bite and thickness for more driven rock styles.
Custom Shop Accessories
Inside the gold lined, black Custom Shop hard case are many exclusive accessories to celebrate the 50-year anniversary including a replica 1968 Gibson Gazette and 1968-style Gibson guitar picks. This guitar also comes with a 50th-anniversary switch plate medallion and a Gibson Custom Shop Certificate of Authenticity.
This guitar is one of only 68 models being made in the world and is a unique opportunity to own a highly collectable piece commemorating Gibson's history.
Here's What Gibson Say About the Custom Shop Heavy-Aged 1968 Les Paul Goldtop 50th Anniversary Reissue
50th Anniversary Re-issue
In the summer of 1968, Gibson did something unprecedented. They re-released two guitar models that were discontinued a decade earlier, a Les Paul Custom and a Les Paul Goldtop. Many famous guitarists at the time adopted 1950s Les Paul models because of their heavy tones, vocal qualities and endless sustain, creating a demand for the classic body style that continues through today.
This 50th Anniversary 1968 Les Paul Goldtop was meticulously crafted to be an exact replica of one well-worn original example – a guitar that just so happens to belong to a Gibson Custom Shop employee who received it new in 1968! Every one of these recreations perfectly captures the character and vibe of that invaluable original, the result of exhaustive study, uncompromising attention to detail and fine American craftsmanship. Each will include an exclusive case, collectible switch plate medallion, throwback hang tags and guitar picks, and a copy of the 1968 Gibson Gazette which announced the new Les Paul models to the world. Limited to only 68 total instruments produced.
- Gibson Custom Limited Edition
- Body: Style Les Paul
- Back: Lightweight Solid Mahogany Back
- Top: 2-Piece Maple Top, Hide Glue Fit
- Weight relief: None
- Neck: Solid Mahogany, Long Tenon, Hide Glue Fit, 14 Degree Peghead Angle
- Neck profile: Medium-Chunky C-Shape, scanned from original
- Nut width: 1.687”, 42.85mm
- Fingerboard: Solid Rosewood, Hide Glue Fit
- Scale length: 24.75”, 62.865cm
- Number of frets: 22
- Nut: Nylon
- Inlay: Celluloid Trapezoids
- Bridge: ABR-1 Tune-o-matic w/ Nylon Saddles
- Tailpiece: Lightweight Aluminum Stopbar
- Knobs: Gold Top Hats with Silver Reflectors
- Tuners: Double Band, Double Line Deluxe Tuners
- Plating: Chrome
- Neck pickup: Custom P-90
- Bridge pickup: Custom P-90
- Controls: 2 500K CTS Volume Pots, 2 500K CTS Tone Pots, Hand-Wired Harness with Black Beauty Capacitors, Switchcraft Toggle Switch
- Finish: Heavy Aged 60s Gold
- Case: Gibson Custom Black Hardshell Case w/ Gold Lining
- Collateral: 50th Anniversary Switch Plate Medallion (w/ Extra Black Plastic Cover in the Case), Replica 1968 Gibson Gazette, Exclusive 1968-style Gibson Guitar Picks, Gibson Custom Shop Certificate of Authenticity