Book a video appointment
Buying a premium guitar at the moment is a tricky experience. However, fear not! Our new Guitar Gallery specialists (Paul, and Paul), are on-hand to help talk you through your purchase, make recommendations and give you the confidence to make the right decision.
With over 30 combined years of boutique and rare guitar sales between them, the Pauls really know their stuff and can help you choose, or track down that special piece you’re looking for.
Click here to book your video appointment now.
Michael Landau is a session legend who's played for countless big names such as B.B. King, Pink Floyd, Joni Mitchell, James Taylor, and more. Fender has teamed up with Landau to create a signature guitar based on his own vintage 1963 Stratocaster using some of the highest-quality parts and craftsmanship Fender has to offer. With its hand-selected lightweight alder body, custom neck profile and custom shop hand-wound pickups and wiring, this guitar is built to meet the demands of a professional and versatile player such as Landau.
Body and Neck
The body is made from alder which is the classic choice for Strats, however, the wood used for the Landau signature Strat is hand-selected to ensure it is lightweight and high-quality. As a result, this Strat will take less of a physical toll than your average Strat. The body has a faded Fiesta Red over 3-Colour Sunburst finish with nitrocellulose lacquer for that vintage feel.
The neck is, of course, maple, but with a special profile that Fender calls a “custom oval C” shape. Flatter than a traditional “C” shape but still fits comfortably in the hand. As it’s a recreation of ‘63 Strat, this guitar has a rosewood fingerboard with a vintage-correct 7.25” radius. The rosewood provides a playing surface that’s smooth and natural-feeling while the curved radius makes playing chords and rhythms a breeze. Less traditional are the 6105 frets which are a more modern size that’s both narrow and tall.
Pickups and Electronics
While this guitar is based on a 60s model, the pickups are Custom Shop Fat ‘50s Stratocaster pickups. These pickups give the classic smooth and articulate Strat tones that you know and love but with more power and low-end response for when you want to get a more aggressive sound. The wiring also strays from the vintage formula. The Landau Strat has a 5-way pickup selector rather than the 3-way switch that was used in the 60s, and the second tone control is wired to the bridge pickup (rather than the middle) so you can tame some of those spiky high frequnecies.
- Model Name: Michael Landau Signature 1963 Relic Stratocaster®, Round-Laminated Rosewood, Fiesta Red over 3-Color Sunburst
- Model Number: 1552400140
- Series: Artist
- Color: Fiesta Red over 3-Color Sunburst
- Body Material: Select Lightweight Alder
- Body Shape: Stratocaster®
- Body Finish: Nitrocellulose Lacquer
- Neck Shape: Custom "C"
- Number of Frets: 21
- Fret Size: Narrow Jumbo
- Position Inlays: White Dot
- Fingerboard: Round-Laminated Rosewood
- Neck Material: Maple
- Neck Finish: Nitrocellulose Lacquer
- Nut Width: 1.650" (42 mm)
- Scale Length: 25.5" (648 mm)
- Pickup Configuration: SSS
- Bridge Pickup: Custom Shop Fat '50s Single-Coil Strat®
- Middle Pickup: Custom Shop Fat '50s Single-Coil Strat®
- Neck Pickup: Custom Shop Fat '50s Single-Coil Strat®
- Pickup Switching: 5-Position Blade: Position 1. Bridge Pickup, Position 2. Bridge and Middle Pickup, Position 3. Middle Pickup, Position 4. Middle and Neck Pickup, Position 5. Neck Pickup
- Controls: Master Volume, Tone 1. (Neck/Middle Pickups), Tone 2. (Bridge Pickup)
- Hardware Finish: Nickel/Chrome
- Bridge: 6-Saddle Vintage-Style Synchronized Tremolo
- Tuning Machines: Vintage-Style
- Pickguard: 3-Ply Mint Green