Customers Also Bought
Availability: 3 in stock
Order now for delivery to you
on Tuesday, 28 Oct 2014
- What does this mean?
The excellent RME Babyface portable audio interface does not compromise on sound quality. Working over USB 2.0, you can record audio at up to 192kHz resolution. Including two high-quality mic pres, the Babyface offers high quality, low-latency recording with a variety of connection options to suit almost any application.
- Sample rates up to 192 kHz on all I/Os (including two ADAT channels via SMUX4)
- Two digitally controlled microphone preamps in high-end quality
- Two balanced universal inputs for line and instrument signals
- SteadyClock for maximum jitter suppression and clock refresh
- Direct operation with rotary encoder and keys
- TotalMix FX: Newly developed internal DSP high-end mixer
- Full mobility by bus powered operation
- DIGICheck, RME's unique meter and analysis tool included
- Peak and RMS are hardware-calculated for all channels
Here's what RME say about the Babyface
RME has given a face to digital audio. Starting with the Multiface as first serious/professional mobile I/O solution ever we raised the bar further and further, up to the extremely popular and successful Fireface series. So now that the racks are filled we will start to rock your desktop! The Babyface is smooth on the outside for looks and feel, but has the balls inside: latest 192 kHz AD- and DA-converters, two reference class microphone preamps, SteadyClock - analog circuit design, features and function are truly RME - we wouldn't give our newborn anything second class! That includes the new TotalMix FX, a TotalMix on steroids, with tons of new features, improvements and 3-band parametric EQs, plus added echo and reverb: anything you need right out of the box and with near zero latency! The Babyface uses RME's Hammerfall USB audio core from the Fireface UC - another milestone in low latency audio interfaces, and will give you outstanding performance and top sound in an ultra-portable, nicely designed and attractively shaped enclosure. The Babyface is available in two color variants: blue and silver.
- Analog I/Os . The balanced XLR I/Os and the TRS phones outputs use RME's analog circuit design, therefore guarantee outstanding noise and distortion values. The latest generation AD/DA converters provide sample rates up to 192 kHz with an SNR of up to 115 dBA. Due to its efficient jitter reduction, SteadyClock(TM) guarantees prestine sound quality, even when clocking to an external digital source.
- High-End Mic Preamps . Both digitally controlled preamps provide individually switchable 48V phantom power. A gain of up to 60 dB, adjustable in steps of 3 dB over a range of 51 dB, exceptional EIN performance even at low amplification settings, and extremely low THD+N values let these preamps surpass those of other devices that cost several times the price of the Babyface. All level settings are 100% recallable by the setup software and can be comfortably adjusted directly at the unit.
- Digital I/Os . The incredible feature set includes an optical TOSLINK I/O, usable as ADAT port with SMUX support or SPDIF optical at up to 192 kHz. In combination with an ADAT converter, like RME ADI-8 QS or OctaMic II, the Babyface provides an incredible amount of 10 analog input and 12 output channels.
- Phones Output . The additional headphone output, driven from a separate and dedicated DA converter, delivers the full sonic experience of up to 192 kHz and is available not only directly at the unit but also at the breakout cable. The phones level is easy to adjust and control with a simple click of the select button and the main volume knob.
- Instrument Input . Directly plug in your guitar or other instruments by switching one input to Hi-Z input mode. Recording any instrument becomes a breeze and does not require any other hardware.
- MIDI I/O . The integrated MIDI I/O completes the list of features and turns the Babyface into a creative audio system of universal usability. Do what you want - wherever you want!
- Perfect Control . With one main control knob and two single buttons the elegant Babyface acts as a perfectly designed direct desktop control for all typical studio tasks: volume control, reference volume store and recall, volume dim, input selection/switching, input gain control - quick and easy access to all functions has been a major point during design and development. The LED bars serve as both level and gain meters, visually supporting the precise control of all inputs, outputs and headphone levels directly at the interface.
- USB Made by RME . The Babyface provides RME's unmatched USB pro audio technology for revolutionary ultra-low latencies on Mac and PC, by using two different optimized firmware versions for both operating systems. Like other RME USB 2.0* interfaces, the Babyface provides revolutionary ultra-low latencies even with multiple channels. The Babyface achieves latency values down to 48 samples on Windows and 14 samples on Mac OS X.
- The Babyface is compatible to USB 3 chipsets.
- Full mobility . The ultra-portable Babyface has been designed for bus-powered operation (some systems might require a special two USB connector cable - included). This turns the Babyface into the perfect partner for mobile recording of live performances, composing sessions in a park or coffee shop, or just wherever you go. Even if you just see it as a good looking HIFI music player or home studio companion - it will work perfectly on every desktop and laptop computer.
- Rear Connectors . The Babyface provides two optical I/Os and a 15-pin D-sub connector. Both TOSLINK connectors for ADAT or SPDIF optical are on the back of the Babyface. The breakout cable - connected directly or via a special extension cable - offers the following connections:
Inputs / Outputs
- 4 x XLR balanced (Analog I/O)
- 1 x 1/4" TRS for Phones (= Analog Out 3+4)
- 2 x DIN (MIDI I/O)
- A breakout cable with unbalanced outputs is available as option (BF-BOCMKH).
Mark | Purchase date: 19 February 2013
Without a doubt the best piece of recording kit I've ever purchased. Superb audio and build quality, portable, works with Mac and PC, expandable... what's not to love?
Sure, RME's TotalMix software has a bit of a learning curve, but once you get the hang of it (which shouldn't take more than a couple of sessions for anyone reasonably used to working with a DAW), it's infinitely flexible.
With every other computer audio interface I've owned, there has always been something (or multiple things) I was simply unable to do, in terms of routing—but not with the Babyface.
At first glance it may seem expensive, but honestly, at this price: it's a bargain you won't regret investing in.