Customers Also Bought
Availability: 1 in stock
Order now for delivery to you
on Tuesday, 11 Mar 2014
This item may be on display
What does this mean?
MOTU 8 Pre Audio Interface
The MOTU 8PRE Firewire Audio Interface with 8 Mic Preamps. FireWire audio interface for Mac and Windows - provides 16 inputs with 8 mic preamps and 12 outputs.
The MOTU 8PRE Firewire Audio Interface provides eight microphone/instrument preamps with pristine 96kHz analog recording and playback, combined with 8 channels of ADAT optical digital I/O. Expand your system by connecting additional MOTU 8pre or other MOTU FireWire audio interfaces. Connect all of your studio gear, including microphones, guitars, synths, keyboards, drum machines and even effects processors.
The MOTU 8pre includes a 16-channel MIDI interface. Simply plug in your FireWire cable, and both MIDI and audio are ready to go. Connect any MIDI device, such as a controller keyboard, synth module, automated control surface or drum machine. Timing is sample-accurate with supporting software.
- FireWire audio interface for Mac and Windows - provides 16 inputs with 8 mic preamps and 12 outputs
- Eight XLR/TRS combo jack mic inputs
- Flexible analog inputs - each provides a crystal-clear preamp (for both the XLR and TRS input), 24-bit 96 kHz converters, individually switchable 48-volt phantom power, 20 dB pad and front-panel trim controls
- Eight channels of ADAT optical I/O - provides two sets of optical connectors to provide eight channels of optical digital I/O even at high samples rates (88.2 or 96 kHz)
- Operates as an optical expander - connect the MOTU 8 PRE to any ADAT optical compatible device (another audio interface, a digital mixer, etc.) to add 8 additional mic inputs seamlessly integrated into the mixing environment of the host device
- Discrete ins/outs - there's no channel sharing in the MOTU 8 PRE ; the mic inputs, ADAT optical I/O, headphone out and main outs are all handled as separate channels
- CueMix DSP near-zero monitoring system
- Front-panel metering - five-segement meters for all analog inputs, plus status lights for clock and interface/expander mode. Sample-accurate MIDI
- Expandable - add additional MOTU 8PRE, UltraLite, 828, 828mkII, 896, 896HD or Traveler FireWire interfaces for additional I/O. Or connect the MOTU 8 PRE optically to any audio interface or mixer that supports ADAT optical I/O
- Separate TRS main outs and front-panel headphone jack, each with independent volume control
- SMPTE time code sync via any analog input
- SMPTE time code generation to any analog output
- Includes drivers for Mac & PC, including ASIO, WDM, Wave, GSIF, Core Audio, and Core MIDI. Supports all popular Macintosh and PC audio software
- 100% compatible with all host-based effects processing in today's popular audio programs
- Includes AudioDesk full-featured sample-accurate workstation software for Mac with recording, editing, mixing, real-time 32-bit effects processing & sample-accurate sync
- Two FireWire ports - daisy-chain up to four units on a single FireWire bus without a hub
- Plug-and-play operation with your Mac or PC via FireWire
- MOTU 8 PRE System Requirements for PC are Windows XP, Available Firewire port and Audio software the supports WDM/ASIO/Core Audio drivers
- MOTU 8 PRE System Requirements for Mac OS X 10.3 or higher; Available Firewire port and Audio software the supports WDM/ASIO/Core Audio drivers
Tim | Purchase date: 30 January 2012
Pretty good. We went for this as an alternative to a full-on mixing desk for our mini-studio. Eight separate XLR/TRS inputs, plus all the optical expansion capability you could want. Outputs (main L&R, phone L&R, and optical) are fully configureable in the monitoring software.
AudioDesk is bundled with it - which seems to be a fully functional piece of audio sequencing software. Not particularly pretty, but got all the features we needed so far. Will probably use GarageBand and maybe Logic in the future with our Youth Project, just for simplicity's sake.
Only snag is that it HAS to be plugged into a computer to work as an audio interface. Without detecting a firewire connection to a computer that has the software installed, it simple functions as an optical expansion device - and I couldn't get a peep out of the phones or monitors.
Easy once we knew how - but feels a bit odd that you can't switch over manually.
Mr. Marek Homola | Purchase date: 12 April 2010
I am very satisfied with the product .
I have a motu hd896 and used the 8pre as external 8 channel strip
very happy beautiful sound so clear. top quality pre amps
Jon | Purchase date: 06 April 2010
What a lovely piece of equipment!
It looks great and seems to be built like a tank which is a good start.
I am a complete newbie to computer music and bought the 8pre knowing nothing about it apart from the available reviews and information online.
It was a complete breeze to get up and running with my Mac, running Logic, and does exactly what you need from an 8 channel mic pre amp interface.
I especially like the way this unit can be connected to another 8pre or the MOTU 828mk3 for expandability in the future - I can feel my credit card sweating in my pocket right now!!!
Hope this helps and I can't recommend highly enough,