Customers Also Bought
Availability: 1 in stock
Order now for delivery to you
on Tuesday, 3 Feb 2015
This item may be on display
What does this mean?
The Fender EC Twinolux is a hand wired all tube 40w amp made to the demanding specifications of Blues legend and local hero Eric Clapton. The Twinolux is based on the tweed 1957 Fender Twin amplifier with the addition of a typical tube bias tremelo only otherwise found on very early Fender amps. The hand made and hand wired in the USA amps of the Fender EC Eric Clapton range all feature premium components and production methods, no corners cut in pursuit of the perfect tube amp built in the 50s Fender way. Look no further for classic sought after Fender tweed tone with all the brightness and richness that you assosciate with Fender as well as the gritty overdrive that Eric Clapton has made famous for decades. The single channel Twinolux has controls for Volume, Treble, Bass, Speed, Intensity, Presence and Output making it the most controllable amp in the EC Eric Clapton signature series of Fender Amps.
The tube bias tremelo produces a more 'throbbing' sound with a rich organic feel that's effortly musical. The tremelo has it's own speed control and can be footswitched on and off (footswitch not included). Another unique feature for the Eric Clapton range of Fender amps is a power attenuator allowing you to keep that 'over-the-edge' tone without actually pushing the volume beyond your needs (help reduce spill/reflections in the studio, keep neighbours on side at home!)
The Fender Twinolux is hand made in the USA to exacting standards and built in the same way as the original Fender Twin amps were in the 1950s which is to say with a lot of care and attention! The circuits are based specifically on the FE8-A model Fender Deluxe and use four 12AX7 preamp tubes, two 6V6GT output tubes and two FU4 Rectifier tube as well as premium components and Mercury Magnetics custom transformers. The two offset speakers are Special Design 12" Weber by Eminence speakers that can be disconnected and the output sent to any external 4 ohm cab
Here's what Fender say about the Twinolux
In a historic collaboration, Fender introduces its first artist signature amplifiers-EC Series amps bearing the name of legendary guitarist Eric Clapton. Built to the exacting specifications of Clapton himself, the EC Twinolux is a fascinating variation on the tweed '57 Twin amp and our answer to his call for a special model with several distinctive features. Handmade in the United States with '50s-era output tube bias tremolo (which produced a more throbbing pulse than later Fender tremolo circuits) and a switchable power attenuator (reduces speaker output and can disable one speaker for even lower output), it presents the pinnacle of personally inspired amp tone for stage and studio alike and is a must for Clapton fans and guitarists who want the ultimate in tube performance. Features include hand-wired all-tube circuitry on eyelet board with premium components; circuit based on late-'50s Fender Twin amp model 5E8-A (about 40 watts); single channel with high-gain and low-gain inputs; tremolo with speed and intensity controls (can be selected with included footswitch); dual Special Design 12" Weber speakers (by Eminence) with alnico magnets for dynamic, sensitive response; two Groove Tubes 6L6GE output tubes, four 12AX7 preamp tubes and two 5U4 rectifier tubes; Mercury Magnetics custom transformers; finger-joined solid pine enclosure for warm, resonant tone; lacquered tweed covering with vintage-style brown/gold grille cloth and leather strap handle. Deluxe fitted cover included.
- Model Name: EC Twinolux
- Series: Custom
- Amplifier Type: Tube
- Color: Tweed
- Wattage: 40 Watts
- Inputs: 1 (High input) and 2 (Low input)
- Power Handling: 40 Watts
- Rectifier: Two 5U4GB rectifier tubes
- Controls: Volume, Treble, Bass, Speed, Intensity, Presence, Output
- Cabinet Material: Solid Pine cabinet
- Handle: Leather Strap Handle
- Grill Cover: Tweed covering and vintage-style brown/gold grille cloth
- Amplifier Depth: 9.0", 21.6 cm
- Amplifier Width: 24.5" (62.2 cm)
- Amplifier Height: 20.5" (52.1 cm)
- Amplifier Weight: 53 lbs. (24 kg)
- Speaker Description: Two 12", Weber-designed, Eminence-built speakers
- Speaker: Two 12", Weber-designed, Eminence-built speakers
- Impedance: 4 Ohms
- Pre Amp Tubes: 4 x 12AX7
- Power Tubes: 2 X 6L6GE
- Unique Features: Hand-wired all-tube circuitry on eyelet board; premium components throughout, Circuit based on late 1950s 5E8-A Fender Twin amp - produces about 40 Watts, Single channel with two inputs (high and low-gain), Tremolo with speed and intensity controls and footswitch, Special Design 12" Weber speakers (built by Eminence) with Alnico magnet for dynamic, sensitive response, Two Groove Tubes 6L6GE output tubes, four 12AX7 preamp tubes, and dual 5U4 rectifier tubes, Custom transformers by Mercury Magnetics, Switchable output power - Attenuator reduces the speakers' output if desired; one speaker can be switched "off" for even lower output performance, Finger-joined solid pine cabinet resonates with a warm, woody tone, Genuine lacquered tweed covering with vintage brown/gold grille cloth and leather strap handle, Deluxe fitted cover is included, Hand made in Corona, California, USA.
- Knobs: Black Chicken Head Knobs
- Cover: Amplifier Fitted Cover Included
Steve | Purchase date: 26 July 2013
Wow - that's a review on one word.
I was looking for an amp to play Jazz and blues, to complement the Mesa Boogie I use for rock. What I didn't expect was the incredible tone palate. I spent about an hour in the store checking out the amp using a Les Paul and a PRS customer 24 (both humbucker and coil tapped) and on first listen the clarity and definition of this amp blew everything else away.
That fantastic definition of every note makes it a little unforgiving, but it also expands the versatility as every single tweak to the controls opens up a whole palate of sound.
Not for the faint hearted though, to get the best out of this amp you really need to spend some time experimenting. The range of sounds you can get is breath-taking.
I was a little worried at the lack of reverb, but the sound is so genuine and rich you really don't miss it and I love the tremolo.
The ability to change the output is handy too, especially if you want to overdrive the tubes in a small space. For a 40w amp it sounds exceptionally 'big' and if you add in the sensitivity it shows to your picking style and attack it is one hell of an amp.
I've played it with a Strat, an SG, a PRS custom 24,a PRS with their narrowfield pups,and a Les Paul with a P90. To my ear it works best with single coils and the narrowfield, even though the amp
has a bit more treble than other Fenders I've tried. That said I've never heard my P90 sound so great it adds a totally new dimension when played through the amp.
Yes it's expensive. But it is beautiful and awesomely versatile.
For fans of tone, not just fans of Clapton.